Your favorite game to play in Phy Ed

Monday, November 2, 2009

BR #2: Black Duck First Entry

I’m reading the Black Duck. I think the book is okay so far. I like that Black Duck doesn’t become boring. There are plenty of events that keep you entertained. I appreciate the book is easy to understand.
Ruben, the main character, has had to make quite a few decisions. One was when Ruben and Jeddy found a dead body. They had to decide what to do, call the police, stay there and watch over the body, or leave the body to the police. He and Jeddy decided to call the police and they left the body thinking it would be alright, but the police called a little while later and told them they didn’t find any body where the boys told them it was. Later, Ruben studies what he took from the body. He had a smoking pipe and tobacco pouch. He didn’t know if he should hand the items over to the police, or keep them. He thought it over and decided to keep the items. Another decision he had to make was when he found out that there was a torn $50 dollar bill in the tobacco pouch, and an older boy Ruben knew asked him if he took anything off the body like a torn bill or the half of something else because it would probably be a ticket, something an alcohol smuggler would have to show the captain of the freighter shipping his liquor that he was the right smuggler. Ruben had to decide to tell the boy (Billy) that he did have an item like that, or decide to keep it a secret. If I was in Ruben’s position, I most likely would have made the same decisions. If Billy would’ve asked me that question, I would’ve been suspicious of why he would want to know. If I found a body, I’d report it immediately to the police.
Ruben isn’t really anything like me. He was alive during the Alcohol Prohibition period. I wasn’t. Another way he isn’t like me is he enjoys skipping school whenever he is able to, but I won’t. One of the very few similarities I can think of between Ruben and I is we are both boys.
I have learned that The Alcohol Prohibition was during the 1920’s, and lasted 13 years. I have also learned Newport, the town Ruben lived in, is located on the coast of Rhode Island.
So far I would rate this book an 8 because the book keeps me entertained. I think it’s interesting. I think it’s interesting because this book is the first book that I’ve read that’s based on the Alcohol Prohibition.

2 comments:

  1. Black Duck sounds like an interesting book to read. You summarized this book very well. It takes me a long time to summarize something. I like to put in every detail. Great job quiet kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A 1969 Shelby Mustang is my DREAM car. I like your muscle car photo.

    One recommendation I have would be to divide that first paragraph into 3 - one for the intro, and one for each decision. Big blocks of text are harder to read.

    ReplyDelete