Your favorite game to play in Phy Ed

Friday, October 30, 2009

BR #2: Black Duck Second Entry

I have just finished Black Duck. I thought it was a good book. I again enjoyed the action and how it was easy to understand what was going on. Another thing I liked about the book was it wasn’t predictable like some books are.
Ruben still isn’t like me. I like school while he enjoys skipping it whenever he gets the chance. He seemed interested in the alcohol smuggling at first, but changed his mind at the end, and I would never think about joining the alcohol smuggling that was going on then. He isn’t like me in many ways.
I think people who like action/mystery books would like Black Duck. Anybody who’s interested to know more about the alcohol smuggling during the Alcohol Prohibition should read this book. If you’re not interested in finding out more about the alcohol smuggling business, or if you don’t care for mystery books this would probably not be the book for you. I know I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and I think other people will too.
I learned quite a lot about the alcohol smuggling business from reading Black Duck. I learned that freighters, or ships, came from Canada and anchored just behind the Canadian/USA border, and waited for smuggling boats to come and load themselves with the liquor that the freighters possessed. Then the boats would rush to the shore, unload the liquor, and repeat the process. If they were caught by the Coast Guard, they would dump the liquor overboard so they couldn’t be charged with having alcohol with them and violating the alcohol prohibition law. I also learned that a ticket was half of something, usually a torn dollar bill, that a smuggler buying liquor from Canada would have to show the hired captain of the freighter who was shipping the liquor, and had the other half of the bill, that he was the right guy. It was a way of a smuggler proving to the captain shipping the liquor that he was the right buying customer.
I rate this book on a scale from 1-10 a 9. I rate Black Duck a 9 because it kept me entertained and wanting to keep reading. The topic it was based on was unique. Black Duck is the only book I know that is based on the Alcohol Prohibition years. The plot was exceptional, the events that took place fit into the story very well. Black Duck is a good book for, in my opinion, anyone to read, and I hope my responses made you interested.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite paragraph here was you talking about what you learned about the business. That shows me you interacted with the text and extracted something.

    ReplyDelete